Liz Biscevic—5 Things to Know Today
If you want good news heading into your weekend, you should know two Afghan boys (with the same last name and different families) got the happy endings they were hoping for this holiday season, a London firm is hiring an emoji translator (because that’s a thing now), and we have five easy ways to make yourself more likable, which might come in handy when you’re trying to score that promotion in 2017.
1. Des Moines Register: Wind turbines could help boost Iowa crop conditions.
Air turbulence generated from wind turbines in Iowa might actually improve growing conditions for corn, soybeans, and other crops by reducing moisture in the air and regulating ground temperature.
2. Buzzfeed: An adorable boy made a Messi jersey out of a garbage bag, and then got to meet his hero in person.
Earlier this year, a photo circulated of a boy wearing a jersey made out of a garbage bag. The 6-year-old Murtaza Ahmadi was living in the Ghazni province of Afghanistan and was known in his village as “Messi’s biggest fan.” Earlier this week, Ahmadi got to meet Messi in person and got to walk out onto the pitch holding his idol’s hand.
3. Inc: If you want to be more likable, it could be as easy as liking more people.
These five tips—like smiling and gesturing with your hands—might make you more likable in a group.
4. BBC: A company in London is hiring an emoji translator.
Last year, a UK linguist said emoji was the country's fastest-growing language, and emojis often develop inconsistencies as they are used. The role primarily focuses on explaining the cross-cultural misunderstandings in emojis and compiling monthly trend reports.
5. CNN: An 14–year-old refugee finally made it to the UK after nearly a year stuck at the Calais Jungle Camp
Earlier this week, Muhamed Ahmadi was reunited with his uncle for the first time in over a decade, after a perilous journey from Afghanistan to the UK. He passed through 12 countries to arrive in England, including a stay in France’s infamous, now defunct, Calais migrant camp.