5 Things to Know Today—December 22, 2016
Liz Biscevic—5 Things to Know Today
Three days till Christmas! While you’ve been out prepping for the holiday, you might have missed that there are plans for a futuristic power plant that looks straight out of Star Wars, Uber lost their battle with the DMV and pulled their self-driving cars from the road, and our last-minute gift guide with something for everyone.
1. Inhabitat: There’s a futuristic power plant that generates clean power from wind, solar, and geothermal energy.
EXOSPHERE, a newly designed power plant complex in the Caribbean includes four wind turbines, carpeting made from corn, soy-based paint, and a design that captures rainwater for reuse. But that’s not all. EXOSPHERE will also connect to a pair of net-zero towers with office spaces, apartments, and even a spa.
2. TriplePundit: Tucson, Arizona is using greywater to keep their gardens green.
Harvesting the rainwater that falls on roofs and other hardscapes prevents erosion and flooding while giving people the ability to water their gardens and lawns without wasting water.
3. Washington Post: Uber just pulled their self-driving cars from the roads in San Francisco.
After a week of feuding, the DMV prevailed and California deemed Uber’s autonomous vehicles illegal until the company agrees to obtain the permits required. The decision came after a tough week of accusations that the cars broke basic traffic laws and complaints from freaked-out cyclists in the city.
4. Mic: What’s better—saving money or paying off your debt?
Some argue you should pay off high-interest debt before you do anything else, while others say it’s financially risky to put off saving. The answer is never simple and always personal, but there are ways to make the best decision for you.
5. Make Change: Last-minute gifts for everyone on your list.
These gifts are unique, socially-conscious, and guaranteed to make your loved ones smile.